Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pumping it Up

Well it's official - I am finally a pumper. When I was first diagnosed, I told my parents that I was never going to use an Insulin pump and would rather do needles. That changed pretty quickly as 5-6 shots a day started to become a lot of work. I did some research, and three pumps stuck out to me; the Animas Ping, Minimed Revel, and the Omnipod. The Omnipod was my favorite because there isn't any tubing and it's waterproof! Almost a month ago, I had a meeting with my Endocrine Nurse and she gave me a demo Omnipod and I really liked it. I couldn't even feel it when it was on me. After the demo pod, one of my distant cousins, Celeste, who works for Animas and has a son with Type 1 like me, let me borrow and Animas Ping for a weekend so that I could get a feel for it. I liked the pump, but I wasn't a fan of the tubing. I would get caught, forget that it was on and almost rip out the site, and find somewhere on my bed to put it while I was sleeping. I really did like the pump though.
When I was considering pumps, I knew what I was looking for in one. I definitely needed one that is waterproof and durable (since I can be a little clumsy sometimes). I also needed one that I would be 100% comfortable with. After trying out both and talking to my Endocrine Nurse, I decided to go with the Omnipod! I started Saline trials this past Thursday and so far I really like the pump! The cannula is practically painless, and I don't even feel the pump on me. I start on actual Insulin on April 8th and I'm really excited for that. I know that I have only had it for a few days and this is subject to change, but I really do think that the Omnipod is the right pump for me. This might change later in life, but I'm set for now.
Thinking back, I'm not too sure as to why I was so against pumping. I mean, one little needle every 2-3 days is a whole lot better than 5-6 everyday. Also, I get to sleep in and eat when I want with a pump. Maybe I didn't want one because I was still in denial about my Diabetes, or maybe it was because I didn't want others to know at the time. Now, I think that all of the Electronics for Diabetes are really cool. There are some awesome things out there like the Dexcom G4, Omnipod, Animas Ping, T:Slim, Minimed Revel, and many more. There are even a few pumps for people with Type 2!

Here are some advantages to pumping:
1. Better control of your sugar levels

2. You get to sleep in and don't have to follow an eating schedule

3. You can use a remote or the pump to bolus, which I personally feel is more easier and discreet than shots (not that there is anything wrong with using them)

4. You don't have to take long-acting insulin

5. They look really cool

-There are many more, you just have to do some research to find them!-

Here are some disadvantage to pumping:
1. You have a site on you for 2-3 days

2. Tubing can get caught on stuff

3. The site could come off

4. Your sugars could get higher when/if you disconnect or the site gets messed up

5. You have to count carbs for everything and bolus for them (no more 15 carb snacks without insulin)


-Again, there are many more, you just need to research them!-


In the end, I'm really excited about the Omnipod. Even my friends think that it's cool. I think that pumping is for me and that I made the right choice. If you are a Diabetic who is completely against pumps, please know that after a little research, that can change. I started out hating them and now I love mine. Pumps are normal for Diabetics and there are so many to choose from. Just find one that feels good to you and go from there. If you ever need to talk, please email me at njsmith1282@gmail.com or whatsyourtypeblog@gmail.com. Everyone is different, and some people prefer pumps while others prefer shots. I like both and either work for me, although I'm starting to lean more towards pumps. Technology for Diabetes is advancing every day, and hopefully one day it will be advanced enough for a cure. Until then, we just gotta keep pumping it up (or shooting it up if that works for you)! Oh and email me if you have any topics you would like me to post about! I'm always up for suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment