Friday, March 14, 2014

One Month

So it's official. I have had Type 1 Diabetes for one month today and I have changed a lot since my diagnosis. When I was first diagnosed I was actually pretty ashamed of my Diabetes. I didn't know why it had to happen to me, and I thought that people would see me differently. I was scared to tell people. The only ones who did know were those closest to me. Today, because it is the one month mark, I told everyone about my Diabetes because I have realized that I have nothing to be ashamed of. There is nothing weird about Diabetes and no one who has it should feel ashamed at all. When I first got diagnosed, I thought that all of the changes that I would have to make would be scary, but they aren't. I have gotten used to them and everything feels normal to me now.
What are some of the changes in my life? Well I haven't been able to sleep in as late as I used to because I have to wake up to check my sugar (hopefully this changes when I get on the pump). I also have a lot more red marks on my fingers from pricking them so much. Shots and needles don't phase me anymore because I have just gotten used to them. I can feel when my sugar is low. Lastly, I have reconnected with some people who I need to have in my life, and I couldn't be happier. For the first time since my diagnosis, I am in a really good place. I have been more positive, and I have hope. Yes, there are good days and bad days, but I get through them and stand strong. There are also a lot of low carb snacks that someone with Type 1 can eat without taking insulin, so that's really nice. My birthday is also next Friday, so that should be fun.
All in all, the biggest change for me is my outlook on life. I have realized that I took way too many things for granted before I was diagnosed. I never really stopped to appreciate the small things, which I am doing now. I also learned that you should never give up on people. Drama will happen - that's life, but it really shows something if you can work past it. Every day is a gift, and a lot of people don't realize this. Having Diabetes has taught me this, and I am making the most of my life now. In a way, Diabetes was my wake up call to life. I have learned so much more about myself and life in these last few weeks than I have in a while. If there is anyone with Diabetes, Type 1 or Type 2, please feel free to talk to me if you need to. I am here for you. We are all in this fight together, and no one should have to feel the way that I did when I was diagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment